Re: Debian 12 - IPv4 blocked without fail2ban & co

Next time it happens I'll run more tests from the server to my home.
I'm wondering if my modem at home could not be the culprit. I'm prepared for more tests here too.

But yes I'm sure I don't have any rules on the server:

# iptables -nL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

# nft list ruleset
-bash: nft: command not found

Le mer. 6 sept. 2023 à 15:25, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> a écrit :
On Wed, Sep 06, 2023 at 10:59:29AM +0200, Romain wrote:

> > So when this is happening mtr works but http, ssh and ping don't?
>
> Yes

I think there is definitely a firewall involved somewhere as that is
quite complicated selective blocking: it's allowing back the ICMP
Time Exceeded packets that mtr uses for telling the path to a
destination, but it's not allowing ICMP Echo Reply packets that ping
uses for getting a response, nor of course any of the TCP packets
for http, ssh, etc.

If it was a routing issue I'd expect total loss of all connectivity,
but you don't see that, and as you later mention, you can still
reach the destination from other hosts and even from other
subscribers to your home ISP.

The tcptraceroute may help you find out where this firewall lives,
but it may end at or just before where you'd expect your host to be.

You are absolutely certain that no firewall rules exist on your
server?

# itables -nL

and/or

# nft list ruleset