Re: Backup systems

On 2023-09-02, David Christensen wrote:

> > I have 83 backups resulting to 130% of data. So a ratio of 63:1.
>
> Nice.

It's just related to the size of periodically modified data, no glory
here. Each usage must be analyzed.

> What partitioning scheme, volume manager, file system, etc., do you use on
> your backup server?

xfs on logical raid10, no VM

> What is the performance limitation?

> If you wanted compression on the backup server, how would you implement it?

I have both small CPU and RAM on the backup server. It degrades
severely if I setup some sort of compression. I choose to crypt
partitions instead. And get larger disks.

>> And also rsync deduplication is less consuming than zfs.
>
> Please define your system and metrics.

I must admit I only did a bench a long time ago on another system. I
don't remember metrics.