Re: Backup systems

On 2023-09-02, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I switched to Bup a few years ago and saw a significant reduction in the
> size of my backups that is partly due to the deduplication *between*
> machines (I backup several Debian machines to the same backup
> repository) as well as because the deduplication occurs even when I move
> files around (most obvious when I move directories filled with large
> files like videos or music).

I setup deduplication between hosts with rsnapshot as you do. But it was
a small gain in my case as the larger part was users data, logs and the
like. So always different between hosts. I gain only on system
files. Mainly /etc as I don't backup binaries and libs.
I almost never move large directories. But if needed it's easy to move it
also in rsnapshot directories.