Re: bookworm and network connections

On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 04:16:46PM -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote on 9/1/23 15:38:
>
> > In particular, when using /etc/network/interfaces, only interfaces that
> > are marked as "auto" need to be up, to satisfy this criterion.  An
>
> I don't think that debian has used used /etc/network/interfaces for a while,
> at least not by default. Certainly there's nothing useful there on the
> machine that I just upgraded and whose networking is failing to configure
> itself correctly.
>
> Network Manager -- I think -- uses some completely different mechanism for
> managing networking (although I have no idea what that mechanism is.)

Debian *absolutely* uses /etc/network/interfaces.  By default, in a
Standard installation.  But as you noted, it's optional.  Debian *also*
allows the use of Network Manager, systemd-networkd, and probably several
other systems for configuring one's network(s).

I haven't installed Debian 12 yet (upgraded to it, but haven't installed
it), but I did a Debian 11 install yesterday.  And I can assure you,
that system uses /etc/network/interfaces just like every other Debian
system I've ever run.  I used a Standard install, then booted it to
confirm that all the necessary firmware was present, and then installed
KDE (among other things).  I don't know whether N-M is installed on
that system -- I didn't check -- but it doesn't matter, because the
machine's sole ethernet interface is configured in /e/n/i and therefore
N-M would skip it.

Returning to the previous topic, I have no idea how
After=network-online.target interacts with N-M.  I have experience with
network-online.target vs. /e/n/i and its absurd "allow-hotplug" default
setting, but I don't use N-M so I don't know how that works.