Re: I uninstalled OpenMediaVault (because totally overkill for me) and replaced it with borgbackup and rsync

Jason <jason@7748229.xyz> writes:

> Hi
>
> I was a user of OpenMediaVault for several years. I even donated money to the
> developer.
>
> But very provocatively OpenMediaVault is bloatware, way too big. The only thing
> I need is a reliable backup.
>
> I had pure Debian (minimal installation, very few packages) installed with
> borgbackup and rsync.
>
> I am now very satisfied, much more streamlined than OpenMediaVault.
>
> Am I wrong, are my statements completely off?
>
> Or how does your backup look like?
>
> cheers
> Jason

Another OMV user for several years and have been happy about it.  It's a
NAS system based on Debian (latest version based on Buster), on top of
which it provides its NAS management layer and you can control what to
install or not.  There is no ads, no telemetry, and it manages my ZFS
raidz1 cluster without any issue for several years, and the system
itself takes less than 5GB space, so I'm not sure why you'd call it
bloatware.

--
Manphiz