Re: Please verify Gnome and KDE wiki articles for correctness

On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 10:29:02AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 10:15 AM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

[...]

> > The basic problem with popcon is that it is opt-in, and nobody
> > who is at all privacy conscious opts-in.
> >
> > (I fully support this decision. It is absolutely correct.)
>
> A quick note with an opposing view... learning that I run libc or kde
> on my Debian machine reveals information with little to no value.

[...]

> Telling the Debian maintainers I run libc and kde benefits me and the
> community. Maintainers and developers learn where to allocate
> resources [...]

I think this is the wrong angle. Opt-in is a sign of respect
towards the users -- whatever reasons the user has is actually
totally irrelevant. It might be privacy, it might be something
else.

This attitude is one of the things why I love Debian.

Cheers