Re: Mailing list unsubscription requests and identificatio

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 11:17 PM David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 11 Aug 2023 at 17:39:28 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> > On 8/11/23 14:25, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 10:59:14AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Sorry, Gene, this is plain wrong. The way it works is this:
> > >
> > No its not Tomas, everytime ff issues an update, I have to go thru all
> > the bs of proving I am me to my bank, and its been that way for at
> > least a decade. The fact that I have a nearly 30 character pw it would
> > take eons to guess, doesn't mean a thing to them.
>
> If you only have to type your password monthly in order to login,
> that suggests your bank has a very lax security model. I presume
> you never actively logout when you've finished the day's business.
>
> Many banks nowadays use two factor authentication, and automatically
> log you out after a period of inactivity. Furthermore, they often
> require reauthentication in order to make any withdrawals.

In the US, the banks are laxed. Banks claim they don't want to lose
customers with inconveniences. I understand things are different from
Europe.

In the US, risk is democratized and reward is privatized. Shareholders
get the losses and executives get the bonuses. No skin off the
executive's backs if the bank or the customer loses money due to
fraud.

Jeff