Re: Why or why not back up "/lost+found"

On Fri, 2023-08-11 at 14:45 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 01:30:13PM +0100,
> debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > One other consideration that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere in
> > this
> > thread is what happens if you back up filesystems to filesystems?
>
> I never use the backup's medium top-level dir as a target. In my
> current
> usage, that's how my medium looks like:
>
>   tomas@trotzki:~$ ls -l /media/backup
>   total 20
>   drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Aug 27  2022 lost+found
>   drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 Aug 27  2022 trotzki
>
> ...so there's a top-level dir named after the "client" host. My
> backup
> scripts gets a positive list of things to back up -- and I sprinkle
> files named .backup-filter for more control (I tell rsync about
> that).
>
> Simple, effective. Putting tons of "--exclude" and things into the
> command line will drive you crazy after a while :)
>
> Cheers

Hi!

Just a clarification, FWIW.

I earlier stated that I back up to:
/media/[user]/MSD00001

I actually back up to:
/media/[user]/MSD00001/rsnapshot_backups_of_[host]
which is of course a sub-directory of /media/[user]/MSD00001.

Anyway, from now on, I am going to explicitly exclude all "lost+found"
directories from being backed up.

Thank you to all who weighed in on this!