Re: logging no longer standard?

On 8/8/23 00:51, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Mon, Aug 07, 2023 at 05:32:03PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

Ohhhkaaay, but why then do I get a message if looking at the journal as user
1000, that the user must be a member of the adm group to see all the log,

...unless you use sudo.

AND adding me to the adm group doesn't change what I can see using sudo?  I

As sudo you can see *all* (I don't know a lot about systemd's journal, but

I do some sysadmin for food, and the boxes at work do systemd, so the basic
knowledge is there. And the above belongs to the basic knowledge.

Now let's be scientific: what evidence makes you assume that there's anything
in the logs you are not shown?

see gigabytes of stuff from kwin etc, but nary a syllable from what isn't
working because something blocks it.

Perhaps "what isn't working" isn't logging to the syslogs at all? (this
hunch has come up elsewhere in this thread). Another possibility: it is
in the logs, but hidden under so much stuff that you don't see it.

And neither does grep.

See, if you "do" AppImages you are multiplying your system's complexity.
Each AppImage is like a little operating system (without the kernel) where
the application provider dictates the rules, not Debian (that's why I
avoid them like the plague).

And that's sad, Tomas. The current, nominally 7 day old AppImage of OpenSCAD can load and render a complex gfx design in seconds. the repo version, dated from 2021, takes around an hour. You are missing out on some seriously improved code. ditto for cura and digikam. Running kiauh.sh at least weekly does the job of keeping klipper, mainsail and moonraker for 3d printing uptodate, its working great but is being developed daily. Klipper is learning how to drive a printer fast w/o making its frame ring like a bell, which you see as ripples in the surface of something printed after some feature of the print has changed the direction of the print heads travel. And because it is all web based, I can run that printer from a web browser on any other machine on my local net and watch the print being built in real time w/o a camera. All the heavy lifting is being done on an $85 bananapi. If and when I get done with the current rebuilds in progress, there will be 5 bananapi's running a 5 printer farm. There are already 4 other machines here running the master version of linuxcnc which will in time become linuxcnc v3.0. If I don't miss roll call first. Parts are being made on one printer to fix the others.

Cheers

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis