Re: logging no longer standard?

Hello,

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 09:23:25AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> In any case, this is not a popular change.

I don't think that's clear. I think that amongst a population of
people who care deeply about logging it's generally unfavourable,
and I myself don't particularly enjoy using journalctl so I'd kind
of sort of put myself in that category except you know what? I just
can't bring myself to get worked up over it.

I think that the vast majority of Debian users just do not care
(or even know) and are content using journalctl.

For those of us who do care, installing rsyslog takes seconds.
Disabling the systemd journal (if you want to)_ takes another few
seconds. This email took longer.

As such I'd file it as a reasonable change that I'm not 100% happy
about and has resulted in a couple of extra lines in the Ansible
playbook I use to provision machines. I don't think about it until
the next time there is a thread of people getting bent out of shape
over it.

Whether on balance it is net positive or net negative I don't know.

> I will also point out that this change is well-documented, both in the
> official release notes[1] and in the wiki.[2]  Reading these resources
> before an upgrade is highly recommended.

The release notes in particular are essential reading since
otherwise a person won't know about major components that have
changed, been replaced etc.

Cheers,
Andy

"The electric guitar - like making love - is much improved by a little
 feedback, completely ruined by too much." — The League Against Tedium