Re: logging no longer standard?

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 08:56:36AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> It is highly probable that I'm being grumpy because Debian changed something
> that
> I was used to for decades, without my realizing it. I'm more interested in
> *using* my
> computer than learning whole new paradigms about, say, logging. Changing
> things
> will *always* be perceived as friction unless someone explains clearly why
> it makes
> sense, to me personally.

You're unlikely to get a satisfactory explanation.  My best guess is they
(the Debian developers in question) think systemd's journal is really
neat-o and they want people to consider it the primary information source,
with human-readable text files being "legacy".  (To be fair, log rotation
of text files is clunky.  But it's a well-understood problem with well-
establish solutions.)

My second best guess is they wanted to reduce redundancy.  Having the
same information logged in multiple places might seem unappealing to
them.

In any case, this is not a popular change.  I don't remember ever
hearing a single person say "Wow, I'm so glad they did this!"  I've
seen many complaints.  Most often, people just (re)install rsyslog and
move on with their lives as before.

I will also point out that this change is well-documented, both in the
official release notes[1] and in the wiki.[2]  Reading these resources
before an upgrade is highly recommended.

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#upgrade-specific-issues
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBookworm