Re: chrome web browser worthless

On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 05:33:55AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> Google seems to have high jacked port 80, I cannot use it as a browser to
> run klipper as a google search intercepts port 80, so localhost:80 cannot be
> used for troubleshooting or for running a 3d printer with klipper..
>
> FF has no such problems.

On my system, with this package:

ii  google-chrome-stable 115.0.5790.110-1 amd64        The web browser from Google

and with Help -> About Google Chrome showing this version string:

Version 115.0.5790.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I cannot reproduce your result.  Typing this URL:

http://localhost:80/

gives me these messages:

This site can’t be reached
localhost refused to connect.

Try:

* Checking the connection
* Checking the proxy and the firewall

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I consider this a correct result, as I have no local web server running.

unicorn:~$ telnet localhost 80
Trying ::1...
Connection failed: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...

So, at least with my current configuration, I see no evidence that Google
Chrome "intercepts port 80".  Perhaps something in your configuration
is different.

The standard next steps in such a situation would be to try with a brand
new browser profile, or with a brand new user account that has never run
Google Chrome before (which can be simulated by moving your dot-directories
to new names temporarily, or not-simulated by actually creating a new
user account and logging in as that account).

I'm not sure what all of the dot-directories are, but I see
~/.config/google-chrome/ and ~/.cache/google-chrome as starting points.

Or, if you prefer, you could try digging through your configuration to
see what might be set incorrectly.  I wouldn't relish that task.  Maybe
you could start with proxy settings, though.  If I recall correctly,
however, those have to be set with command-line arguments or environment
variables.  Or at least that was true once upon a time.

... oh!  And one other thing you definitely should check is the definition
of localhost in your /etc/hosts file.  On a standard Debian system, you
should have something like this:

unicorn:~$ grep localhost /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

Given your penchant for altering network configurations, it would not
surprise me if you've customized this in a way that breaks something.