Re: [OT] IBM, Oracle, SUSE: RHEL

riveravaldez wrote:
> Hi, sorry for the noise, I'm just curious about the Debian community
> opinions on the subjects more or less elaborated in these links:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hats-commitment-open-source-response-gitcentosorg-changes
>
> https://www.oracle.com/news/announcement/blog/keep-linux-open-and-free-2023-07-10/
>
> https://www.suse.com/news/SUSE-Preserves-Choice-in-Enterprise-Linux/
>
> Issues, actors, philosophies, perspectives, etc.

Eighteen years ago I successfully argued at my company that the Red Hat
revamp into "Enterprise Linux" meant that we were going to incur switching
costs -- so we should switch to something with a better upgradability
story. That something was Debian, which all of the sysadmins admitted
to preferring at home anyway.

I have not seen any reasons to reject that decision.

It seems likely to me that IBM's threat to drop customers who redistribute
their GPL'd packages is a GPL violation in itself. Lawyers will no doubt
be involved.

Many of the systems that Red Hat/IBM funded or adopted are systems that
have caused me excess grief when they were brought into Debian.

I hope that everybody actually using and developing these systems does
well in the end. I have no fondness for corporations, especially IBM
and Oracle.

-dsr-