Re: Migrating system from u-sd to nvme memory on arm64's?

On 7/13/23 09:21, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I'm not sure that this is correct. I have several SSDs around here, all
several years old, all with swap partitions and all in daily use. None
has failed me yet.
Most modern SBC images for Debian and Armbian don't have a swap
partition. It's not usually necessary and it provides a vector for wear on
the device.

Images for SBCs are fairly different from typical desktop/laptop
circumstances: there is no real "SSD" in most SBCs.  Instead they
typically have a small eMMC (if it all) that might hold the OS but not
much more and then the image itself is often expected to be on
a µSD card.

Putting swap on a µSD is often a bad idea because those cards are often
slow and they wear-endurance is rarely advertised (and apparently often
poor).

         Stefan
My own experience with u-sd's is that while an 8gb card will hold the average desktop install, it's failure rate is pretty bad. Up it to 16gb and it lives a LOT longer, a year or more. Taking the hint, I've yet to find a failed 64gb and one of mine running linuxcnc with a light load there but contains a complete buildbot for linuxcnc and its realtime kernels on plugged in SSD's, is now 8 years old, it started with a wheezy install from raspios, now buster, and still working well. My theory is that the more empty room the u-sd has to attend to its internal housekeeping, the longer it will live. Slower than the SSD's by a 30/1 difference, but serviceable. The SSD's, plugged into the rpi4b's usb3 ports, checks out at around 600mb/sec, while the u-sd's are 12 to 20 mb/sec. Boringly slow, but still working with df showing full capacity.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis