Re: Migrating system from u-sd to nvme memory on arm64's?

jeremy ardley wrote:

> On 13/7/23 08:31, mick.crane wrote:
> > I was wondering what these Nvme M2 things are and if can plug into
> > motherboard or need an adaptor, are they like a RAM disk or something.
> > mick
>

> Depending on your motherboard you can plug them in directly. With an older
> motherboard you need a PCiE adaptor card that supports multiple NVME
> devices.
>
> Be careful however, there are at least two flavours of NVME drive. A PCiE
> flavour which is very fast, and a SSD flavour which isn't. You want the PCiE
> flavour if possible.

Sorry, have to correct you here.

M.2 is an interface format, a micro card edge. M.2 has a set of
key cutouts that specify what exact interfaces are allowed to
connect. It can be used to connect PCIe, SATA, or USB devices.

There are enough possibilities that it's best to reference the
wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

M.2 drives can either be SATA SSDs or NVMe SSDs. SATA is exactly
the same electrical interface as you are used to on 2.5 and 3.5
inch disks, with the same 6Gb/s maximum rate. If you have a
spare SATA port, no point in using up the valuable motherboard
M.2 port.

NVMe (non-volatile memory express) is a command protocol running
directly on PCIe and can run at full PCIe 3, 4 or 5 speed, whatever's
supported by the best intersection of the motherboard and the
drive.

-dsr-