Re: How do I remotely access the computer in the next room?

On Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 06:49:07PM -0400, hobie of RMN wrote:
> Hi, All -
>
> I need the best way currently available to operate my brother's computer
> in the next room through my computer.  I think we're both running Debian
> 11, the stable version for me, the testing version for him.  I've tried
> ssh -X.  It does work but only for a short time, then the connection
> crumbles - his computer has often locked up on him and we have no idea
> why, so the 'short time' aspect of the -X approach may relate to that.
>
> The point is, he's been away from home for awhile now and we're not sure
> when he'll return. Chiefly I'm looking for the most convenient way to keep
> an eye on his incoming e-mail for him.  Mostly I use Mutt; he uses
> claws-mail exclusively, so I'll need to remotely launch claws-mail and
> have it retrieve latest e-mails.

Claws-mail stores mail in the MH mailbox format. Mutt can handle MH mailboxes.
Why not use mutt via ssh on his machine, for most messages you do not need to
use X (ie graphics), this might mean that the connection is more robust.

You would only use graphics for displaying some attachments, eg images.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/