Re: Removing i386 architecture

On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 00:13:39 -0400
Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2023 at 10:27 PM <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> >
> > Folks:
> >
> > In order to install steam from the Debian repo, I followed the
> > directions to:
> >
> > dpkg --add-architecture i386
> >
> > prior to the installation. Turns out steam wouldn't run my game, so
> > I uninstalled it. Now I don't need the i386 architecture, so I
> > dutifully did:
> >
> > dpkg --remove-architecture i386
> >
> > I received this error message:
> >
> > dpkg: error: cannot remove architecture 'i386' currently in use by
> > the database
> >
> > So if anyone can help me remove i386, I'd appreciate it.
>
>     apt-get remove --purge \
>         `dpkg --get-selections | grep i386 | awk '{print $1}'`
>
> followed by
>
>     dpkg --remove-architecture i386
>
> Jeff

Nice try. However, this isn't allowed, as it would apparently remove
libcrypt1:i386, which is apparently a "system-critical" package. I'm
not sure how this could be system critical, since my original
installation was 64 bit. This begins to look like a reinstall, in order
to get my system "clean". Unless anyone has other ideas.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com