Re: fancontrol

On 6/10/23 17:06, Aleix Piulachs wrote:
El El dom, 11 jun 2023 a las 0:38, David Christensen <
dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> escribió:

On 6/10/23 15:23, David Christensen wrote:
Does the Setup utility have any settings to control the fan?  What are
the names of the settings, what options are available, and what are the
current settings?

Does the Setup utility have any settings related to processor energy
consumption?  For example, on my Dell Latitude 5400:

Settings
      Performance
          HyperThread Control                     Disabled
      Power Management
          Thermal Management                      Cool

David

i use i386 because the computer has 2Gb Ram memory only and was a present
does 2weeks ago and it has win7 installed but i want to repair the computer
and to put 1Tb ssd and 8Gb Ram memory it’s the maximum I installed bullseye
i386 with the little memory..

On 6/10/23 17:36, Aleix Piulachs wrote:
> i ‘ve been installing fancontrol lm-sensors and I write systemctl enable
> fancontrol and there’s no problem but when I write systemctl start
> fancontrol there’s a failure code=exited and when i write systemctl status
> fancontrol there’s a failure too I must to check /etc/fancontrol but it’s
> ok I believe
> [Unit]
> Description=Start fancontrol, if configured
> ConditionFileNotEmpty=/etc/fancontrol
> After=lm-sensors.service
> [Service]
> Type=simple
> PIDFile=/var/run/fancontrol.pid
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/fancontrol
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target

Again, please reply to the debian-user list.

Again, computer technical support requires facts. This means console sessions. Please use script(1) to capture your console sessions (see below).

Please connect the computer to an AC adapter and connect the AC adapter to an AC receptacle. Please verify that the AC adapter is operating and providing power to the computer.

Looking at the available manuals:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-6830s-notebook-pc/3688712/manuals

I see the "Computer Setup User Guide" (c01892653.pdf). Follow the instructions "Starting Computer Setup" on page 1:

    "To start Computer Setup, follow these steps:
    1. Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the
       “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the
       bottom of the screen.
    2. Press f10 to enter BIOS Setup."

Verify or set the following setting:

-> System Configuration
 -> Device Configurations
  -> Fan always on while connected to an AC outlet -> Enable

Then save the setting per "Navigating and selecting in Computer Setup" (page 3):

    "To save your changes and exit Computer Setup menus, click the Save
    icon in the lower-left corner of the screen, and then follow the on-
    screen instructions.
    – or –
    Use the tab key and the arrow keys to select File > Save changes and
    exit, and then press enter.

When the computer restarts, but before booting Debian, does the fan operate? Fast? Slow? None?

Does the fan operate when Debian is booting?  Fast?  Slow?  None?

Does the fan operate when Debian displays the login screen? Fast? Slow? None?

Login. Does the fan operate when the prompt or desktop is displayed? Fast? Slow? None?

Then run the following commands as root in a terminal to create a "typescript" file:

# script

# systemctl status lm-sensors

# systemctl status fancontrol

# exit

Copy the file "typescript" to whatever computer you are using for e-mail. Display the content with the following command:

$ cat typescript

Cut and paste the console session into your reply. Do not paraphrase. Do not transcribe manually.

David