Re: "dpkg-reconfigure" dash no longer works

On Fri, Jun 09, 2023 at 08:20:52PM +0200, didier gaumet wrote:
> Le 09/06/2023 à 15:38, S M a écrit :
> > I noticed on a newly installed system with Debian 12 that dpkg-reconfigure no longer allows to switch the /bin/sh symlink from dash to bash. This is apparently intentional as per the following:

> This is explained in the wiki:
> - dash is the Debian default non-interactive shell for speed and compliance
> to standard (setup of /bin/sh)
> - bash is the Debian default interactive shell for ease of use (setup of
> /etc/adduser.conf)

Nothing you wrote here is incorrect, but none of it explains the policy
change that has occurred.  I won't even say it's a bad policy change.
It makes at least a little bit of sense...

... but it should not have come as a *surprise* 2 days before the release.

... and it should not be missing from the dash package's NEWS file.

> https://wiki.debian.org/Shell

Another wiki page that I'll need to look at and possibly edit.  Thanks.