Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

Andy Smith wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 03:33:09AM +0000, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > So what's the package name for just "kvm" without the GUI tools? Because
>
> For someone that wants to run a hypervisor in a non-newbie manner

I don't think running a single daemon with a couple of configuration
files and a simple CLI interface could be considered "running in a
non-newbie manner".

> I'm afraid you don't seem to be that willing to do any of your own
> research.

That's correct, I was not willing to do much of my own research
of what I think should be a trivial documented best practice.

Now I see that a supported minimal headless configuration probably
does not exist at all.

Most articles like this https://ubuntu.com/blog/kvm-hyphervisor or
this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation if followed
bring about lots of GUI packages. Interestingly, the five or six
articles I've read seem to suggest a slightly different set of packages
to set up a hypervisor.

> The package is still qemu-kvm (a virtual package that probably
> depends on qemu-system-x86 for you).
>
> By default that will install a ton of recommended packages that
> include all the GUI tools you probably object to, but that is just
> how Debian works [and necessarily how a general purpose binary Linux
> distribution has to work].
>
> If you want the minimum amount of packages to be installed you can
> try installing without recommends, i.e.
>
> # apt --no-install-recommends install qemu-kvm
>
> which will dramatically reduce the number of packages, BUT:
>
> - you may miss some package that's really useful in most cases -
>   installing without recommends is not a supported use case.
>
> - you'll probably still get some packages you will never use.

I tried installing with --no-install-recommends and had the same
impression as you (that I would miss some required packages and still
get some extraneous ones). That is why I really did not want to go
that way.

> This is all very basic Debian systems administration and so if you
> weren't aware of these things I question whether you would have an
> easy time trying to strip a Debian install of KVM down to the bare
> minimum instead of going the easier route of just doing what there
> are thousands of guides out there for.

Of course not. I'm neither qualified nor willing to hack into the KVM
hypervisor implementation details. In fact, I've come here for advice
how to install a minimal headless hypervisor hoping for some docs
documenting the best practice.

Now I see that no such thing as a minimal hypervisor install exists in
Debian/Ubuntu, I may follow some official guide.

Is this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation the
official guide?

> If the idea of the installation of binary package dependencies that
> you never use massively offends you I would suggest that Debian is
> not an ideal match for you, and you may be better off going with
> Gentoo or Arch or something.

I must admit it does offend me a bit but not to the degree of using
Gentoo or Manjaro.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/