Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/10/23 08:17, Brian wrote:
On Tue 09 May 2023 at 16:49:22 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/9/23 07:12, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 04:06:14AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
I think you have said resolv.conf Search directive doesn't work but
nsswitch.conf was mentioned and there is a diff between this machine and one
of the arms. So what do I put in nsswitch.conf to make cups search the hosts
file first?

The bare minimum would be:

hosts:      files dns

Mine contains this:

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
and my bpi54 is:
hosts:          files mymachines dns myhostname

bpi54 has two printers attached by USB. It also hosts four print queues that work
from bpi54 and bpi51. You have a printing system that should continue working
until trixie comes along. Then it will fall apart.

So why this descent into GNU Name Service Switch (NSS) functionality when you are
satisfied with the printing situation?

Greg Wooledge's nsswitch.conf line is what would be expected on a machine having
avahi-demon.service. You do not have avahi-daemon and libnss-mdns installed. That
is fine. A descision has been made to create queues with vendor drivers on bpi54
manually.

Your nsswitch.conf line implies libnss-mymacines and libnss-mymhostname are used.
They have man pages to help you decide what parts they play on bpi54.

They were not installed, and neither are 95% of the manpages. man-db is installed, pinfo is installed, neither has any knowledge of the missing man pages.

What do you have on bpi51?

bpi51 is busy, so bpi54 is being used, same iso installed both.

Man pages apparently are one of armbian's casualties. And avahi* and cups-browsed has been reinstalled. When I went to bed last night, the printers were being listed on the localhost:631/printers screen IF there is an /etc/cups/client,conf containing the IP address:port of the shared printers, but disappears if the machine name is used, And w/o manpages it was not possible to find out that resolv.conf was using space separated names and I had comma separated them. Fixed now.

Also on the bpi's, running armbian, libnss-ldap is installed, which conflicts with installing libnss-*, but did install libnss-my*, and now the printers have disappeared again. That does not hold water. What the heck is going on now?

doing a status request on the cups stuff shows that systemd restarted cups and nearly everything else I just checked, a few seconds after midnight last night, and now cups at localhost:631/printers is using a white cane again.

Thanks Brian.  Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis