Re: disk usage for /usr/lib on bullseye

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 10:45 PM Rick Thomas <rick.thomas@pobox.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 1, 2023, at 11:14 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 2/5/23 02:06, David Christensen wrote:
>> On 5/1/23 06:51, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On my "new" Bullseye machines the root volume starts to fill up. The
>>> cause seems to be the /usr/lib folder.
>>> On my older Buster (10.13) machine the total /usr directory is 701M,
>>> the /usr/lib folder is 260M
>>> In my /usr/lib folder on Buster is NO /usr/lib/modules folder
>>>
>>> On my Bullseye machines the /usr/lib folder is 2+GB on the machines
>>> that have been operating for a while and 1+G on a machine that has
>>> been operating for a shorter while.
>>>
>>> The cause seems to be the folder /usr/lib/modules#
>>> linams:/usr/lib/modules# du * -sh
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-10-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-11-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-12-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-13-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-15-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-16-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-18-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-19-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-20-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-21-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-22-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-7-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-8-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-9-amd64
>>>
>>> And
>>> linutr:/usr/lib/modules# du * -sh
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-16-amd64
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-17-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-18-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-19-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-20-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-21-amd64
>>>
>>> And
>>> lola:/usr/lib/modules# du * -sh
>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-13-amd64

>>> 4.7M    5.10.0-19-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-20-amd64

Did anyone else notice the massive jump in file size here? 4.7M to 309M is a huge increase in file size!

>>> 309M    5.10.0-21-amd64
>>> 309M    5.10.0-22-amd64
>>>
>>> Guessing on what I see these are libraries for older kernel versions.
>>> I usually clean up older kernel versions by using
>>> # apt autoremove"
>>> All 3 servers have 1 older kernel version installed according to apt
>>> autoremove.
>>>

> Have you tried running also
> apt autoclean
> and
> apt purge
> ?
>
> --
> ..
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> (UTC+0800)

Another thing I usually do after doing an "apt upgrade" that installs a new kernel is:
    aptitude -P purge '~o'
    aptitude -P purge '~c'

The "-P" tells aptitude to ask permission before actually deleting anything.

Rick

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/