Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/1/23 12:30, Brian wrote:
On Mon 01 May 2023 at 11:39:29 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/1/23 11:28, Brian wrote:
On Mon 01 May 2023 at 11:02:58 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/1/23 10:40, Brian wrote:

[...]

Your printing situation appears to be a sane one, so now for a test. Do

     lp -d HLL2320D_coyote ANY_FILE_YOU_WANT

Is not working, shell appears frozen but eventually returns:
gene@bpi51:~$ lp -d HLL2320D_coyote printer.cfg
lp: The printer or class does not exist.

But HLL2320D_coyote does exist. It is seen in the outputs of 'lpstat -l -e'
and 'sudo lpinfo -v'. Give

    lpoptopns -p HLL2320D_coyote
gene@bpi51:~$ lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote
device-uri=ipps://HLL2320D%20%40%20coyote._ipps._tcp.local/cups
printer-info='HLL2320D @ coyote' printer-make-and-model='Brother HL-L2320D
series' printer-type=25202710

The print queue specified by -p is queried for some information about itself.
Its reponse is given and it seems a very reasonable one.

    lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote -l
gene@bpi51:~$ lpoptions -p HLL2320D_coyote -l
lpoptions: Unable to get PPD file for HLL2320D_coyote: The printer or class
does not exist.

The -l option asks the queue for the specific options it offers. The response
indicates something wrong with CUPS on bpi51. I haven't any problem when doing
this and getting sensible outputs on my Debian unstable machine.

Which isn't quite a 1:1 comparison as that will be bookworm shortly.

Or, should I update the bullseyes to unstable? IDK and I'm not even sure how...

Assuming your buster machines (which are working) have similar setups to bpi51,

Which is a bullseye machine. And has a totally different content to the /etc/cups directory as shown by my last post, much more complex on the bullseye installs that don't work.

you couls try the two commands (and all the others in this thread) on one of
those.

I'd think I could start by comparing cupsd.conf's, but miss And I can't see the trees for all this forest in the way in both, but missing is a client.conf. I think... But that is probably whats wrong, me thinking.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis