Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

Eduard Bloch wrote:

> I don't think so, Sir! Python has certain advantages but the
> "meaningful whitespace" is IMHO not one of them.
>
> That said, I have been an active Perl user ~20y ago

My rule is a couple of weeks is enough to get "damaged" from
it, some of that damage is good to have tho ... so its
50/50 (not quantifying positive and negative damage :))

> and for the last couple of years slowly converting to Python
> for scripting purposes, still using Perl here and there.

Okay really, cool, this will be an interesting post ...

>   especially when one knows "computer science" and
>   understands what is going on underneath anyway

Haha, that must feel nice B)

> [Comparison Perl and Python]

Okay, can you boil it down to some one, two, maybe three main
things that can answer the question why these languages have
taken the different directions they have taken?

Is it true what I say about devel time? If so, what do you
think the reasons are?

Or what do you think are the main explanations and why do you
think it is like that?

That said, your reply is the kind of reply I would make from
something I know well ... cred

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal