Re: No /

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 17:33:45 +0100
Michael Lee <mlee2@t-online.de> wrote:

> Is it possible to reinstall the system and still retain the settings,
> logins, etc.?

If you mean do a fresh installation, probably not.

First off, make sure you back up everything you are likely to want. You
can restore from your backups after the installation. You should be
doing regular backups anyway.

You can mitigate some of this by having a separate /home directory, but
that introduces new problems: old versions of users' configuration
files may not work with new versions of the software, or may not be
exactly what you want. But that doesn't preserve system settings in
/etc (where login information resides) and elsewhere.

I make backups of stuff I am likely to want (/etc, e.g.). After a new
installation, I copy the backups to a separate directory in /. If I
find I need an old version of a file, it's right there.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/