Re: OpenSolaris Boot Environements equivalent

I've tried Open Indiana for some time,but I stopped using it when a developer told me :

"Using our build machinery brings another level of burden and you'll need to learn a lot of new things additionally but when using it you can
participate in the project. If we don't find enough volunteers the project will end sooner or later. At the moment there are very few people working regularly on updates or fixes. We have many areas where nobody despite me is doing anything. Multimedia support is one example"

so,no reason for me to be involved in unnecessarily complicated tasks.FreeBSD is the right choice for me. It is not complicated and it is tricky enough to be enjoyed. I say this to say also that if I want to learn how the boot environment works,I will learn it from the FreeBSD world,not the open indiana world. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if the boot environments of FreeBSD include a graphical boot menu ? Because this is the added value that I'm looking for. I would like to skip and save some time by avoiding some command line tasks.

Il giorno gio 19 gen 2023 alle ore 18:05 Yassine Chaouche <a.chaouche@algerian-radio.dz> ha scritto:
Le 1/19/23 à 3:41 PM, Mario Marietto a écrit :
> The question asked by Yassine is interesting for me. I've been a FreeBSD user for some years. After having used Linux for 20 years, I took the decision to stop using it a little bit because of some technical reasons,mainly tied to the package management. Now that I'm using FreeBSD,I don't regret that choice,because the package management of FreeBSD rocks. That of some Linux distributions is unnecessarily complicated and problematic because of the problem of the unresolved dependencies. The question of Yassine is intriguing me a lot,even because I've used nixos for some time and I was impressed by that system management and I would ask to the freebsd forum if is possible,in some way,to create a menu,like the grub one,where the user can choose,before that FreeBSD start booting,which zfs snapshot they want to use.

Mario,

I have been introduced to Boot Environments when I was exploring openindiana about a year and a half ago.
It's one of the forks of Solaris based on OpenSolaris (and the illumos kernel).

You might find this discussion interesting as it mentions how all of that is done automatically in that OS:
https://www.mail-archive.com/openindiana-discuss@openindiana.org/msg25345.html

Best,
--
yassine -- sysadm