Re: Libvirt dnsmasq oddity

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 18:18:00 -0600
Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeovanis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would first want to find out why the samba server is doing that
> "sometimes" but not others.
>
> My first guess would be that you have a hostname identified somewhere
> that resolves to 2 different addresses, depending. And one or both
> may be defaulted addresses.

Indeed. And you are correct, but not, I think, in the way you mean.
On the network's DNS server, hawk (the samba server and host for the vms
in question) resolves to an address on the internal network for the
benefit of other computers on the network. But, thanks to /etc/hosts,
on hawk it resolves to an address on the loopback interface.

The problem appears to be that libvert's dnsmasq instance picks up the
contents of /etc/hosts in order to serve them to the VMs, all well and
good, except that it serves up the address of hawk as well.

root@hawk:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
127.0.1.1	hawk.localdomain	hawk

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
root@hawk:~#

I don't think I added those entries. I just checked a few other
machines, including a vm I recently built, and they all show similar
entries.

Perhaps I should comment out one or both entries for hawk.

I think you meant some sort of inadvertent double definition of a host.
I haven't made that mistake in a while.

> But Charles you seem to be past those kinds of mistakes usually :-)

Usually. Thank you. Alas, Murphy can strike us all.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/