Re: Recommended SSDs and 4-bay internal dock

On 11/01/2023 14:58, Tom Browder wrote:
I plan to install a 4-bay, hot swappable SSD dock to replace the existing DVD in my only 5.5" externally accesible bay.  To fill it, I will get up to four 2.5 inch SSDs of 1 Tb: MX500 by Crucial. My plan is to use the SSDs for backup, but not in a RAID configuration.

I would appreciate opinions on my choice of SSD, as well as which brand of dock is recommended: ICY DOCK versus StarTech. On Amazon, the ICY DOCK mentions a lithium battery but the StarTech doesn't, and I'm not sure why it's needed.

I have exactly the same SSDs installed. Working in Btrfs Raid1 mode as /home in my desktop.

SMART data:
Device Model: CT1000MX500SSD1 (4096 bytes sector)
Power On: 1099 hours
Power Cycles: 213  (5 hours/cycle)
Temperature: 29 °C
Unused Reserve NAND Blocks: 56
Lifetime Used: 2%
Average Block-Erase Count: 33
Total Written: 71 TiB

Device Model: CT1000MX500SSD1 (4096 bytes sector)
Power On: 1095 hours
Power Cycles: 214  (5 hours/cycle)
Temperature: 29 °C
Unused Reserve NAND Blocks: 61