Re: Why Debian packaging structure is so difficult

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 07:35:18 -0700
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 07:18:53 -0500
> Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > The best solution, IMHO, is to mirror using a tool that is aware of
> > the specific structure of apt repositories.  Personally, I have had
> > excellent success with apt-cacher-ng, which functions much like a
> > squid proxy.  You configure apt-cacher-ng with the sources you like,
> > then you configure the clients on your network with the same sources
> > but tell them to use the apt-cacher-ng proxy.
>
> I second using apt-cacher-ng (acng). I've never configured acng itself,
> just the clients, and that is simple and easily scripted.
>
> The only thing it doesn't do is cache https only repositories. Those are
> few and far between, and the reason it doesn't is inherent in https, so
> I doubt any similar program will cache them. There are ways for clients
> to deal with that limitation.

In my limited experience, HTTPS-only repositories are actually fairly
common: I've had to enable, at one point or another, apt-cacher-ng
workarounds (such as adding them to a PassThroughPattern) for a bunch
of repositories, including those of WineHQ, Xpra, VScodium, and the Tor
Project.

--
Celejar