Re: How can I check (and run) if an *.exe is a DOS or a Windows program?

On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 11:33:44 +0000
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a few DOS/Windows abandonware that I'd like to check but I
> only want the DOS ones, because Wine on my installation is a total
> pain.
>
> For example:
>
> $ file test2/sm416.exe
> test2/sm416.exe: Zip archive data, made by v2.0, extract using at
> least v2.0, last modified Sat Mar 15 12:34:37 1986, uncompressed size
> 221709, method=deflate, R

The first (barely) usable Windows was 3.0, 1990, though I've never seen
anything earlier than 3.1/3.11 in the wild. No doubt that this one is
DOS.

> It doesn't really say much about this executable. However, if I
> uncompress it:
>
> $ ls test2/sm/
>   ADVANCE.DOC    JOBS.SM       RIGS.SM      SMLRN.HLP      SMREVU.HLP
>   ANTENNAS.SM    NAMES.SM      RUNS.SM      SMMAIN.HLP     SMSESS.HLP
>   CITIES.SM      ORDER.SM      SCRIPT.SM    SMMEAS.HLP     SMSTATS.HLP
>   CLASSES.SM    'Q&A.SM'       SESSION.SM   SMMORSE.HLP    SMTKEY.HLP
>   EXAMQ.SM       QSO1.SM       SMBLD.HLP    SMONLINE.HLP   STATES.SM
>   FEEDBACK.FRM   QSO2.SM       SMBYE.SMT    SMOP.HLP       STEPS.SM
>   GROUPS.1       QUICK.DOC     SMENH.HLP    SMOPT.HLP
> WHATSNEW.416 GROUPS.2       QWORDS.SM     SM.EXE       SM.OVR
>   GROUPS.SM      README.1ST    SMHOME.HLP   SM.PIF
>   HAMWORDS.SM    REGWORDS.SM   SM.ICO       SMRADIO.HLP

DOS is limited to 8 characters before the '.', but of course Windows
can use such files also. Any more than 8 characters is definitely a
Windows file. You would generally expect Windows to use a few .dll
files in a group like this, though that isn't guaranteed. Help files
would normally be .chm files.

> $ file test2/sm/SM.EXE
> test2/sm/SM.EXE: MS-DOS executable, MZ for MS-DOS
>
> Which makes me think it's DOS but it could be a false positive. Then,
> how do I run it? Dosemu, Dosbox?
>
> Should that be run before or after uncompressing it?

Sorry, can't help there.

--
Joe