Re: drive controller Q?

On 9/15/22 06:53, debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
On 9/14/22 14:55, Dan Ritter wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

Does anyone have experience with this controller card?

https://www.newegg.com/p/14G-04YB-00003?Item=9SIB2XHHUE3880

Specifically, whats my chances of moving an existing software
raid10's 4 Samsung 1T's to it,
and then attaching 4 more 2T drives to it too, to create a
separate 4T raid-10 for amanda?

Without any data loss if possible?
I don't have any experience with this one. I don't know what
SATA chipset it is using, but there aren't many that the kernel
doesn't already support.

That said, it is a straight SATA3 board, not a RAID board, so
there will be no difficulty in moving mdadm, btrfs or zfs RAIDs
over to it.

I would point out that you can't actually fit 16 x 3Gb/s worth
of bandwidth over one PCIe lane; if this is v1 PCIe, you have a
total of 250MB/s available. That's probably fine for four
spinning disks doing backup duty.

Here's a 4-port model with named PCIe v2 support and a
recognizable SATA chipset, for slightly less money:

https://www.newegg.com/syba-si-pex40064-sata-iii/p/N82E16816124064?Item=N82E16816124064

-dsr-
.
I looked at that one too, Dan, but I've filled up the back panel
with usb breakouts and it will
take a major re-arrangement to clear a pic-e slot. This mobo only
has two, and another drive
controller like this 4 port is already in the other slot.  Not
saying it can't be done, but
will be a pita to do. There is also a 6 port onboard controller
that I might be able to use
for the 2nd raid. With a boot drive, and a buffer drive for amanda,
and 4 2T's on it that would
fill it up. I've got a usb3 optical drive that burns a dvd now and
then so I can do away with the
sata drive if push comes to shove. Or the accessory card for
the /home raid-10 is a 6 port with
2 empty sockets.

Can I make a 2nd raid 10 from two separate controllers? 2 drives on
the mobo controller and 2 on the
plugin controller? I'd think that could lead to mix-n-match
problems given udevs penchant for
shuffling drives.

Too many options......
The glory of software RAID over SATA3 is that they don't have to
be on the same controller at all. All the clever systems put
identifiers on each of the participating drives and you can
assemble the RAID without necessarily knowing where all the
parts are -- they will be found.
One thing to watch out for is the time when you do need to know exactly
where the parts are. Namely when a drive fails. Some upmarket drive
cages have an LED that can be turned on so the software can indicate
'this is the drive I just told you about - please replace this one'.
Without that LED, it is sometimes difficult to be sure you've correctly
identified the piece of hardware that the software says has failed.
Don't ask me how I know :(

Been there, done that, pain in the a$$
(This is definitely the case for mdadm and ZFS, probably less so
for btrfs, and possibly not at all true for LVM.)
As long as LVM is over mdadm it doesn't matter. Can't speak for btrfs.
I still don't entirely trust LVM. Stuff does get fixed eventually, but I got tired of being an unpaid lab rat for RedHat and broke out of the fedora camp almost 2 decades ago. I wanted something that worked. Fedora /always/ had a boil that needed medical attention.  Used ubuntu for about 3 versions, but linuxcnc went to a debian
base just before wheezy, and is still there.

So between OpenSCAD, Cura, LinuxCNC, a garage & shed full of cnc metal carving machines, and a couple 3d printers, my creativity, such as it is as I look at my 88th,
has an outlet.

This morning I've a big grin, I've been working on making a BIG vise screw for a
woodworkers workbench, and took a stick of hard maple off one of my milling
machines that will be still working 100 years from now.

Carved with code I wrote.

Threaded with a 2 start, 6mm buttress thread, for a 12mm pitch, no measurable taper in 20" of it.  Antique, 100+ yo worn out junk like it sells for $200 on fleabay. This one I'll offer for 3x that as it far more complete, but the woodworker/buyer will will it to
one of his great grandchildren when he is done with it,

That's the intention, we'll see if it sells.

The nice thing about cnc is that once the code is fine tuned, unlimited copies can be
made if the machine has a big enough work envelope.

Unforch, its not fast as it takes around 2 days to carve the screw, and around 2 weeks to make the rest of the kit on a couple 3d printers. Per sellible piece. Will it sell? DIIK. But I'll
find out.

Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)