GenesysLogic USB microscope + uvcvideo interferes with all input

I'm trying to use a USB microscope with Debian 11.  When I plug it in
dmesg reports:

  usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: GenesysLogic Technology Co., Ltd.
  uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device USB2.0 UVC PC Camera (a16f:0304)

but when I run vlc v412:///dev/video0 , I see a black window flash every 10 seconds, and I loose control of all mouse and keyboard input. When I unplug the camera, I recover mouse and keyboard.

I see that in 2017 someone got the camera to work with Ubuntu.
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2379144.html
Has anyone got this camera to work with Debian 11?

Roger