Re: Advantages/Disadvantages of Open Source Software (Was Re: Package grub-xen-host breaks PV domains with 11.5 point release)

On 9/13/2022 7:11 PM, Thiemo Kellner wrote:
> Am 13.09.22 um 23:55 schrieb Chuck Zmudzinski:
> > On 9/13/2022 4:14 PM, Thiemo Kellner wrote:
> > I think Megha is emphasizing, and possibly over-emphasizing, the fact
> > that the persons
> > who actually commit the code in free software projects can operate with little or
> > no oversight when they are just volunteers not really accountable to anyone.
> And I very much think she is wrong there. Being software developer
> myself, unfortunately closed source mainly, I can tell that oversight is
> not related to the licensing model or the pay of the developer. I would
> go to the length to say that volunteers take, in general, a bigger pride
> in the quality of their work, because they are not payed for it. The few
> quite fruitless attempts in writing OSS, I took, failed sometimes
> because I intend to create the perfect solution and thus not
> progressing, whereas in the work for money I am often forced to
> implement a working solution I can tell from the start, it will not be
> easily maintainable or extendable.
> > to think the situation might be better if either 1) open source projects exercised more
> > oversight than they currently do over the persons who actually write the code and
> > release the software
> As I already told. In over 25 years of experience, I do not have
> complaints about the oversight taken by OSS projects, where as I
> regularly can complain about closed source payed for software. In the
> past two weeks I was hunting down a problem we had with IBM DataStage.
> One of the parallel subprocess terminated unexpectedly and all the
> message DataStage cared to give was that the subprocess received a
> SIGINT. We hope to have work around, because we could not find the
> source. To me, one of the worst things one can do as developer not to
> have proper error reporting - unless you know, you will not get bothered
> when the shit starts to hit the fan.
> > , or 2) free/oss software never became ubiquitous. We just cannot
> > know without being able to do a time machine experiment and see how the software
> > world would have developed if free/oss software had not become as ubiquitous as it is
> > today.
> I cannot agree with you at all on this point. Omnipresence of OSS does
> not mean there are more error in the code. It just means there are more
> users to detect problems, thus more possiblities for the bugs to get
> fixed. Sure, if OSS developers are overloaded the will not get to fix
> all the problems, just as developers on CSS (closed source software).
> Much more, because the sales man can sell better new shiny features even
> if useless, than stable code. The buyer expects that flaws get fixed for
> free, maybe rightly so, thus the CSS company will fix as few bugs it can
> get away with (exageration).
> > If there was not a serious problem of malware, identity theft, ransomware, etc.,
> > I would be more inclined to question what Megha Verma wrote, but based on what
> [...]

Thanks for your excellent observations from your own experience. I cannot dispute
anything you say. The only thing I would add is that free/oss projects need to be
vigilant so the poor practices of closed source software development do not creep
into free/oss projects.