Re: how disable apt downloads w/o sudo

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 12:59:15PM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> On 12 September 2022 11:23:49 AM UTC, Tim Woodall <debianuser@woodall.me.uk> wrote:
> >If the OP is complaining about:
> >
> >$ apt download reportbug
> >Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian buster/main i386 reportbug all
> >7.5.3~deb10u1 [128 kB]
> >Fetched 128 kB in 0s (642 kB/s)
> >$
>
> yes
>
> >Then there's no way to stop this other than making apt executable only
> >by root.
>
> thats scary, i dont want to meddle with
> default permissions.
>
> thanks for understanding my issue

Well, *I* don't understand your issue yet.  Can you please explain it in
more detail?

Are you trying to stop other users on your system from doing this, or are
you trying to stop *yourself* from doing this?

Is your concern the use of bandwidth?  Is a disk being filled up and
running out of space?  Something else?

Are you *only* concerned about the "apt" command (and maybe apt-get), or
is the concern broader?  Do you also want to place restrictions on other
commands that can download files and store them on the disk, like lynx,
curl, wget, ftp, w3m, firefox-esr, and so on?