Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

On Sat 20 Aug 2022 at 09:06:54 -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

> On 8/20/2022 1:25 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > I get you want to contribute?
>
> Yes, that's what mystifies me. I don't know why Debian ignores
> someone who wants to contribute time to help the project.
>
> In another case, the bug was upstream and although I reported the
> bug on Debian first, marked it 'patch' and 'upstream' in the BTS, it was
> still being ignored, so I just submitted the patch directly to upstream who
> accepted my patch.

You did the best possible thing.

> Usually upstream projects want and expect users to report bugs to
> the distro, not to the upstream project, for many good reasons that I
> need not explain here.

You would have to explain it for my benefit because I am not familiar
with that procedure.

>                        Then the distro package maintainer, rather
> than the user, interacts with the upstream developers and maintainers.

That is the general practice, but it is not unknown for the maintainer
to request the user to forward the report upstream.

> Of course if the distro maintainers ignore upstream bugs reported to the
> distro, the whole free software ecosystem will suffer, not just Debian.

Fair comment.

--
Brian.