Re: user perms

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:22:05PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Mon 13 Jun 2022 at 19:03:47 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> > On 6/13/22 14:36, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 01:56:12PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:  >>
> > > I appear as user 1000 seem to be stuck behind some sort of a >>
> > permissions wall. > > SHOW. US.
> >
> > I got tired of fighting with it Greg, so I did install #32 and installed
> > gnome_desktop (that was new) and xfce4 during the install, and
> > now things including the screen colors are back to normal,
> >
> > I've installed the brother printers and scanner drivers and I can modify t
> > them by the usual rules. I also set a root pw in addition to adding myself
> > to /etc/group in the appropriate places. I created an /sshnet tree with the
> > other 5 machines here, did a root chown -R me:me on that path and just now
> > mounted all of them as me, so I own the path to me on the other 5 machines.
>
> "adding myself to /etc/group in the appropriate places" sounds just
> like the sort of thing that might have caused /etc/passwd to become
> screwed up in installation #31.

adduser gene <groupname>

would be the way to do it and have adduser write the file appropriately,
in my experience.

Manually editing /etc/passwd /etc/group or whatever is error-prone, yes.

In the days when Raspbian defaulted to setting a pi user and default group
I'd use the groups command to check whcich groups were set and then
set them by using adduser for my own user, add my own user to the appropriate
group for sudo then, at that point, logout, login as my own user and

 userdel -r pi

> > And my working environment is getting close to completed, something
> > that only been workable occasionally since that last Seagate 2T drive
> > went tits down in the night last Dec 8th.
> >
> > Kmail5 is buggier than road kill in June, but t-bird is more like
> > August, so
> > I'm looking for a mailer that actually works. tbirds sort filters
> > don't, and
> > they think everybody uses only html, so word wrap doesn't work So I'm
> > doing this by hand..

Thunderbird and the like do have options to set what they accept and
what they display.

Here, I'm using mutt - but I will admit that I had someone more knowledgeable
help me set up mail forwarding and so on.

Glad to hear you've finally got an environment that more or less works -
maybe leave it working for more than a week if you possibly can

All the very best to all on the list, as ever

Andy Cater