Re: error using synaptic UPGRADE/INSTALL

On Mon 13 Jun 2022 at 12:38:37 (+0100), Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 07:24:07 -0400 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 04:58:44AM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >> I suppose I should have shut down some of processes before running
> >> Synaptic.
> >That shouldn't be necessary.

While I would generally concur, I would not advise, for example,
performing the monthly firefox upgrade while the browser is running.

> Indeed.  It seems more likely that the problems arose because Synaptic
> was forcefully terminated.  Of course, it may have been necessary due to
> a (now) unknowable problem.
>
> It would be helpful (maybe) to know how long Russell waited before
> performing the reset after Synaptic hung.  Too late now, but it might
> simply have been performing complex 'bookkeeping' tasks.  For example,
> occasionally, I've seen initrd.img being written out more than once
> during an update (although not recently).  That can take time.

Over the weekend, both ntfs-3g and linux-image-5.10.0 were upgraded,
though I split them because I happened to upgrade ntfs-3g just after
midnight Friday. A weekly upgrade might upgrade both at the same time.

I would also point out that a pair of upgrades like this would be
split if you normally upgrade (in apt-get's parlance), but then
dist-upgrade because you see a new kernel image being held back.

But AFAICT, apt-get does not appear to try to avoid generating initrd
twice in the same step. For example, in April, both apparmor and
linux-image-5.10.0 caused initrd regeneration on this PC in one step.

Not being a synaptic user, I don't know whether it informs users of
what it is doing (other than through the logs), but I would have
thought it ought to.

Cheers,
David.