Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sunday, 10 April 2022 08:54:07 EDT Brian wrote:
> On Sun 10 Apr 2022 at 05:46:35 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > This, FWIW, has nothing to do with cups and printer sharing, cups
> > does
> > its own advertising. All printers here are attached to this machine,
> > marked as shareable and I can put stuff on their output trays from
> > any
> > machine including the rpi4 on my local network.
>
> Indeed, CUPS does do its own advertising of print queue and uses
> mDNS/DNS-SD. That is its *only* technique it has available for
> sharing the queues.
>
> mDNS/DNS-SD requires avahi-daemon to be active. Without it there
> isn't any sharing and advertising.
>
> So, I do not understand "...has nothing to do with...".

The avahi-daemon has either been removed by rm. or by chmod -x on all
machines here, yet cups shared printers (plural) can use those shared
printers just as if they were plugged into that machine. So IMO removing
or disabling avahi-daemon has nothing to do with cups sharing.
You are saying it won't work, but it does here. What else is there except
cups.

> --
> Brian.
>
> .