Re: system lock up, not sure if related to "your system is too slow"

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2022-03-07 20:55:52 -0500, songbird wrote:
>>   right now it locks solid and i can't get a core file at all.
>> all my log files are not giving me any clues either the Xorg
>> one is the only one that's telling me anything relating to
>> what is happening (some kind of IO issue).
>>
>>   it happens when i'm typing, not at other times.  it might
>> only be typing in the browser (firefox).  i'm not sure if the
>> issue is the keyboard driver, the USB subsystems or xorg stuff
>> or the browser and i'm not sure how to get it isolated.  any
>> tips would be greatly appreciated.  :)
>
> First, you need to make sure that the lockup isn't due to memory usage
> (if you have swap). You can limit the memory used by a process, e.g.
> firefox with "ulimit -v ..." before executing firefox in a wrapper.

  thanks,

  i'm barely using this machine most of the time, the few times i
use swap space are when i'm editing a large picture or something
like that.  it hasn't locked up at all during those kinds of
tasks.

$ free

  Mem:         8003140     1349040     4420980      480208     2233120     5904008
Swap:       19530748           0    19530748

> Other than that, firefox shouldn't be able to lock up the whole system
> (even though the issue would be visible only with firefox, the actual
> issue would be somewhere else, probably a kernel or hardware bug).

  yes, i think so too, someplace in the USB, keyboard or IO
processes for such devices.

> You can install atop and use it with a small interval to detect
> a potential abnormal increase of resource usage before the lockup
> occurs.

  i'll take a look at that.

  at the moment i see a new version of firefox is being downloaded
so that will get installed within a few minutes.

>>   all my drives are SSD and they seem to not be having trouble
>> recovering from the lockups when i restart the machine but it
>> would be nice to have some more detailed logs of what is going
>> on and those would need to be sync'd to make sure i'm catching
>> them completely, but that's better than the nothing i'm coming
>> up with now for figuring this out.  :)
>
> I fear for such kind of issues, the logs will not tell you more.

  :(

  we'll see what can be done.  thanks again.  :)

  songbird