Re: a stop job is running for user manager

Richmond <richmond@criptext.com> writes:

> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

>>> Perhaps. Yesterday I found a site that suggested removing entries from
>>> ~/.config/autostart/
>>>
>>> There were a few in there for applications I no longer have installed,
>>> so I removed them, and I am monitoring to see if I see the shutdown
>>> delay again. It maybe relates to a gnome bug which was not fixed in
>>> Mate. It is hard to tell from journalctl which error if any relates to
>>> the delay.
>>
>> That seems like a step in the right direction. A quick question:
>> do you logout before you shutdown or not? It might be possible to
>> observe whether the delay is during logoff or shutdown.
>>
>> (It's not directly relevant, but when running bullseye in 512MB,
>> it helps to kill the browser, terminate X, logout, and shutdown
>> in turn, because the agressive parallelism of systemd works against
>> you with such limited memory.)
>>

> That autostart removal didn't work.
>
> So far this problem has occured only when shutting down an open session,
> although I don't think there necessarily needs to be any application
> open.
>
> Next I will try what you say (logoff) and see if there is any
> delay. Another option is to use startx rather than a display manager,
> although I think I may have tried that. Another option is to use a
> different, or no, desktop env. and try to close in by the process of
> elimination, Dr Watson.

For some time I used the procedure: log off Mate, then shut down from
the display manager. I didn't get any delays. Then for some time I used
icewm manager without any desktop environment and didn't get any delay
in shutdown, even if I shutdown by pressing the power button without
logout.

I think the bug is somewhere in Mate therefore. Maybe it is caused by
the ufw - uncomplicated firewall, as someone reported it causing
problems at startup.