Re: Compatibility of Debian 9 compiled files in Debian 11 version

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 05:54:08PM -0000, Nagaraju Mulpuri wrote:
> I have been using Debian 9 version for the last 4 years. Recently, my computer crashed. I have to install Debian OS again. I am planning to install Debian 11 version. I have many of my own programs compiled on the Debian 9 version. Compiled programs in Debian 9 version will support in Devian 11 version? Or, should I go with Debian 9 version?

If the shared libraries that they're linked against still exist, they'll
work.  Most likely.

The question is whether those shared libraries will be present on a clean
installation of Debian 11.  We can't guess without knowing more about
your programs.

You can try it and see.  If one of the programs fails to run, try using
ldd on it to see what shared libraries it's missing.  Then, based on
the knowledge you gain this way, you can decide whether it'll be easier
to recompile them on Debian 11, or to launch an archaeological expedition
to try to find the necessary shared libraries.