Re: brltty=huge distraction for folks that don't need it.

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 10:47:08 PM EST David Wright wrote:
> On Sun 02 Jan 2022 at 22:31:27 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > I think it's happened to you before, in May 2019. Was something
> > > plugged in when you installed your OS, that was misidentified?
> >
> > That is a possibility I suppose as there are, and were then too at least
> > 10 usb devices plugged in 100% of the time, keyboard & mouse both
> > wireless, 2 printers then, 1 left is an MFC so its a scanner too, a
> > ups, a CM11a, two cameras (one is a movie w/firewire) and 7 other
> > machines on net cables. That lis is incomplete so who knows what might
> > be miss-id'd.
>
> ISTR there was some sort of fast serial device involved, and the
> log you posted showed that it was fighting brltty, so that would
> appear to be the most likely candidate.

Hmmm, that triggers old memories, as it might be a 10 meter usb2 cable with
booster hubs in both ends, which formerly connected the minicom program to a
trs-80 color computer 3 in the basement via an rs232 card plugged into its
multipack interface expander. But it wasn't very fast, the uart chip in it
was all tapped out at 9600 baud, and rzsz was limited to about 7200 baud due
to its loop size being one byte, I was always going to rewrite it to fully
use the table lookup version of the crc calcs but never found a round tuit.
it was highly dependent on flow control working, something that early uart
chip did not do well. Prolific who made the rs232<>usb convertor on the end
of that cable, never did quite get that right.

But that 2 megs of ram "coco" has now died, 35 yo electroytics developing
high ESR so its dead now, and despite my being a CET, I'm too lazy in my
dotage to shotgun all the caps it it, but I believe that cable is still
plugged in to one of several multiport usb 2 or 3 hubs on this machine.

Do we still have a working usbtree like utility that might discover this?
Such useful stuff seems to be falling off the edge in later versions of
linux.

Thanks David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)