Re: First time WINE user looking for tutorial

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 05:14:36AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 10/09/2021 10:24 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 09:40:21 -0500
> > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >

> > Just be forewarned, WINE is not the catchall solution to running
> > Windows apps: The more involved codewise the program is like games or
> > Photoshop, the more problems you'll have.
>
> For context, I've been providing informal support to a local couple for
> decades. He is a retired pastor, now a missionary. They need a new computer
> and as part of my support, I'll be purchasing a replacement. As I've not
> used Windows since WinXP and they are pure Windows users I planned to dual
> boot Windows and Debian. Debian primarily for its maintenance tools. I hope
> WINE will run enough of their "must have" apps that I can use that as a
> selling point to move from Windows to Linux.

In all honesty, I wouldn't do that: don't force a dual boot on anyone that isn't an expert computer user. They could readily get
confused / boot into the wrong OS. Better, in this instance, to buy a new computer with Windows and whatever office software
they might need and for you to learn enough to use Windows 10 or 11.

If you get Windows Pro, you could readily use Debian over WSL2 if you had to.
On a new computer, don't take the risk of making it dual boot,
perhaps having to reinstall Windows, "voiding warranty" and creating a further rod for your back in support.

This is, perhaps, an unusual viewpoint to take - but I have been involved in trying to set up a special purpose
machine for someone who didn't appreciate the help that I was endeavouring to provide, queried costs and so on.
I ended up paying money out of my own pocket to fix items because I was guilt-tripped into it.

> > In those cases, just run Windows in a virtual machine which is what I do
> > for ALL Windows apps I need. Less or virtually no gotchas!

As a Linux user, on your own machine, absolutely. Again, you do need to know what you're doing this for and the limitations of Windows
 - it's something I have considered for folk who are predominantly Linux users but have to use Windows occasionally for work.

> On my personal machines I would have no motivation to install a VM. However,
> I'll investigate the pros/cons of having their machine run a VM in which I
> would run Debian as a demo.

> Are there good FOSS or low cost VMs for Windows machines?

Microsoft's WSL2 is the closest you'll get. That and Debian are no cost options - but in that instance, you have to get your Debian instance
from the Microsoft store.

> Thanks

All best, as ever,

Andy Cater