Re: On improving mailing list [was: How to Boot Linux ISO Images Directly From Your Hard Drive Debian]

On Sun, Aug 08, 2021 at 09:33:02PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2021 at 11:00:55PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> …which, again, I haven't suggested. I don't know why you keep going
> back to the idea of web forums. It's obvious that a web discussion
> forum would have the same problems as an email discussion list, if
> it were unmoderated.

I see. It was a tangent in your post: I didn't perceive it as that.
Now it's clearer to me :-)

> My only suggestion was a Stack Overflow-style question-answer site.
> Those aren't discussion forums.

Two things: (a) SO is a commercial site. It has paid staff. (b) this
is /not only/ a Q&A "service" -- general discussion does happen, as
can be witnessed by this very meta thread: I think this is a good
thing. Not everyone will disagree.

Of course, in such an unstructured medium, some self-imposed rules
may help. See, for example Andrew's regular posts. This isn't
anything "imposed from above" -- he went around here asking for
ideas, etc. You could do that. I could do that. If you have an
idea what could go into his posts (or what could be left out),
he'll be glad to discuss that (can be seen in action in this list,
BTW).

> Off-topic discussion is specifically something which I suggest there
> is too much of here.

If that bothers you: just do something about it. Change the subject
line (as I did in this thread, for example).

> Have a look at https://askubuntu.com/ to get some sort of idea,
> since that is at least a Debian derivative. But as I said, it has
> been tried before and I think won't/can't succeed without buy-in
> from the project.

That's not my kind of discussion forum. I come across them through
web searches, that's all the interaction I have there.

> > I feel we aren't doing that bad, considering the volume.
>
> It is perhaps not so bad for a general Debian community discussion
> group,

which is what it is

>         where you would go into it thinking that pretty much anything
> goes, but the fact is that this is Debian's primary support venue
> for users new and old.

TBH, I've seen many people here finding answers to their questions.
Sure, it's not a paid-for support line.

> I don't think that both audiences can be catered for in the same
> place and I really think that we could and should do better.

Feel free :)

Cheers
 - t