Re: debian-user list info and guidelines (FAQ) - posted monthly

Hi,

On 2021-08-06 9:43 a.m., Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 06:54:53AM -0400, Polyna-Maude
> Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>> Maybe this is obvious for you, but for myself, I don't take note of
>> who's "on the list" and "who's not". So if someone reply to me regarding
>> a message that was posted on the list, there's pretty good chance that
>> I'll reply "on the list".
>
> It's not obvious to me, but I take the time to be careful about replying
> to the right place. I make use of decent mail tools configured properly
> to aid me in this, because to do otherwise is a serious breach of
> netiquette.
>
> In short: if the mail was delivered from the list, it will have the
> correct List-* headers, and a decent, properly-configured MUA will do
> the right thing.
>
> If your MUA doesn't help you with this, feel free to ask for advice
> about decent MUAs, right here on this list!
>
>> This list is "unmoderated" and if better access control is needed then
>> maybe it would be time to change how it works. For example, limiting
>> posting to people registered would be a pretty good idea.
>
> This is more or less the opposite problem to the one we are discussing,
> namely, people who *cannot* post to the list, who are not doing so.
> Moderation isn't going to make any difference to this case.

No it's not the opposite problem.
If the list become moderated or at least controlled in some way then it
would prevent outsider (people not registered on the mailing list) from
send mail onto the list.

Now even if you ban someone, it just need that they create another
address and send a message for it to appear on the list.

Rendering banning pretty much useless for preventing people from writing
stupidity. And that is mostly the reason for banning people, based on
what they write (preventing people from getting the mailing list send to
them is irrelevant as they'll be able to look on the web).

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside