Re: Bash script problem

"Gary L. Roach" <garyroach719@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all;
>
> I have just recently delved into the magical world of Bash scripting
> and programmed up the following script(not finished). The object is to
> parse the Path and check for the existence of each directory. Please
> don't send back an Awk or Sed statement that is more efficient. I am
> having enough trouble with the Bash script.

Well, are trying to check the existence of each part of each path
element? So for example, first check /Test exists, then /Test/gary,
then /Test/gary/run and so on? Because just checking the directories in
$PATH is much easier, just read $PATH into an array and iterate over it
and you can use test or [ with -d to see if a directory exists.

For the weird code you have, well, I avoid bash scripting since I prefer
the zsh shell and especially its clearer array syntax. Anyways, for some
reason

is always true. It seems it probably has something to do with expansion,
quoting and the special meaning of ;. Changing the line to

if [ $A = '0 ; ' ]

seems to work.