Re: How to reference xxxdvd1.iso in sources.list

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 03:32:31PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 06:42:57AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Somebody has written on the general topic but what I had seen was
> > not in the debian.org hierarchy. What I had seen accommodated
> > multiple ISO9660 DVD images in a single directory without using loop
> > mounting. Once found I'd like to see it reference in Section 4.3 of
> > "Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide".
>
> Hm. There are ways to access iso9660 without mounting it
> (libiso9660, for example), but I don't think apt follows
> that path (glad to learn something new).
>
> Is there any special reason you want to avoid mounting?
>
> Cheers
>  - t

If you _really_ want to have one .iso to mount - this is where the 16G .iso
or the BluRay sized disks help - one image that holds a larger chunk of the
whole archive.

apt-cdrom will effectively read the index(es) off the .iso of what packages
there are and will cache that. If you have multiple DVDs, it will prompt you to
change them - so, actually, you could mount the DVD images in separate
directories under /media as individual mount points and then run apt-cdrom
to index them all with Tomas -d switch, as outlined above.

For me - I find that a netinst - and internet bandwidth - is all that I need
but I recognise that that's not everyone's cup of $BEVERAGE.

All best, as ever,

Andy C.