Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 8:54 AM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
Dan Hitt wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 8:59 PM Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that i will need to get new desktop hardware, so i'm trying to
> > figure out what to do.

What are your needs, and what's your budget?

Are you comfortable plugging together components to build a
machine, or do you want to pay for the convenience of having
someone else do it?

Thanks Dan for your message.

I'm comfortable with plugging the components together if it's easy :) :).

That is, for some boxes, it is very easy to attach a drive.  On these old mac pros, the side slips off, and you basically can just shove in a drive.  On the machine that i am replacing, it's a little harder, because you have to attach a cable to the drive and i think maybe a power cable as well, iirc.  But on some machines it is very hard because the cable may be tight, or the insides might be all jammed together.  So i guess part of what i want is a box that opens and expands easily.  I'm just a little leery of adding cards, though, because in my experience they can destabilize a system.

And as to what i'm using it for, well, just the usual---internet, programming, viewing images, listening to audio, etc.  Nothing fancy like controlling real-time hardware (i'd want a dedicated box before doing something like that).

dan

-dsr-