Local shared storage configuration

On Ma, 03 nov 20, 17:34:48, Joe wrote:

> Those of us who use NTFS do so deliberately to provide compatibility
> with Windows. It's not that long ago that Linux NTFS support was a bit
> flaky, so we don't do it solely by our own choice.

One use case that is significantly easier with NTFS is setting up a
shared local storage for several users on the same system.

With NTFS one can just use mount options to ensure all files/directories
have the correct ownership and permissions[1].

With native file systems one has to mess around with umasks for each
user and environment (console, X session and systemd --user, possibly
also Wayland).

Or configure some daemon (cron job, systemd timer, inotify, etc.) to fix
ownership and permissions in the background. Yuck!

I'd be interested to know if there are better ways to do this.

[1] uid, gid, fmask and dmask mount options

Kind regards,
Andrei