Re: LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

On Fri 18 Sep 2020 at 07:32:46 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:42:59PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > The function of the menu is crystal clear.
> >
> > Activating as it as presented a user gets the ticked option.
> >
> > Unticking the option gets the user nothing.
> >
> > Start with that.
>
> Right now, if you un-check GNOME, but leave "Debian desktop" checked,
> you get a mystery desktop, which usually but not always turns out to
> be GNOME, which is the thing that you just un-checked.

I don't really want to nit-pick but, when the menu is presented, only
"Debian desktop environment" is selected. A user who wonders what it
provides is free to read the available documentation (Installation
Guide, wiki etc) to resolve the mystery. When I have a Bash issue I
often find a bit of reading clarifies matters :).

The default desktop is determined by the Recommends: of task-desktop.
The DEs are installed based on the Depends: of the various packages.
Is there a better way of doing it?

> How you don't find that confusing is a mystery to me.

I'll take that to be rhetorical.

Regarding new users: they are just as likely to be mystified by "lxde"
and "lxqt" as by "Debian desktop environment".

--
Brian.